Herbal Hair Vinegars- and a DIY Recipe
An Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) Rinse is a great addition to your natural hair care routine. Rinsing with ACV is super nice when you are making the transition to shampoo bars because it helps to keep your hair at the proper pH level.
There are lots of benefits of rinsing with ACV including-
- less tangles, less frizz because an ACV helps smooth the cuticle. Think of the cuticle as the outer layer of your hair, sort of like bark on a tree.
- more shine because if your cuticle is smooth it lies flat which increases shine.
- helps clarify and reduce build up.
- adds bounce without weight.
- ACV rinse is a tonic for your hair with nutrients that help stimulate hair growth.
- full of natural antibacterial and anti-fungal properties which can help soothe an itchy, flakey scalp.
- balances the pH of your hair especially with shampoo bars.
If you've been using one type of hair product because you love how it works and then after a period of time notice a difference an ACV rinse can help clarify and remove product build up.
It's easy to make your own Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse. In general, you can use any type of vinegar but apple cider vinegar is the popular choice. A natural unprocessed vinegar will give you the "mother"- full of bacteria, nutrients and enzymes. The next step is to dilute the vinegar with water. How much depends on your hair type, in general 1/4 to 1/2 vinegar to water. Add the appropriate amount of vinegar to a spray bottle and then fill with water. You can boil your water first, add tap water or purchase distilled water.
To make your vinegar extra special add herbs. There are many herbs which are beneficial to your hair. Our favorites include rose petals, rosemary, chamomile and calendula petals. Pour your vinegar into a glass jar add your herbs, fresh or dried. Place in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks, shaking and admiring occasionally. Strain to remove all the herb bits and pour back into your clean glass jar. Remember to dilute before use.
It's fun and relatively easy to make your own ACV hair rinse and it's a great way to use garden herbs. But for busy folks who want a high quality natural hair rinse filled with our own Maine island flowers try our handcrafted Herbal Vinegar.
And remember always be a Goldilocks and experiment to find the right combination for your unique hair.